BIENNIAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE
TSA's Biennial National Conference for our members, their families, and medical and allied professionals provides seminars, information and interaction with Medical and Allied professionals, Chapter and National TSA leadership. The meeting features a one-day Newly Diagnosed Seminar presented by TSA Medical Advisory Board Chair, John Walkup, MD; a Leadership Track (for chapter leaders, staff, and volunteers); a Teen Track (for teens ages 14-18 with TS and siblings), and our comprehensive Medical & Behavioral, Education Advocacy, and Adult/Young Adult tracks. Professional programs may be given for Educators, Medical and Allied Professionals.
Highlights of past TSA National Conferences:
- TSA 2014 National Conference Presentations -
Slide Shows and Handouts, generously provided to us by Conference Presenters - 22 Presentations - Medical & Behavioral Track, Education Resources Track, Parenting Track, Adult Track and Teen Track.
- (videos and article to come)
- TSA 2012 Conference Videos -
Getting Started/Newly Diagnosed with Dr. John Walkup, CBIT with Dr. Douglas Woods, Teen Self Esteem, Research Update including DBS, Know Your Rights, MAB and more; many presentations include downloadable slides. Also in iPad/iPhone format!
- TSA 2012 NATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS - Slide Shows and Handouts, generously provided to us by Conference Presenters - including many not included in the video presentation pages.
- TSA 2012 National Conference- in words and pictures.
2010 - Selected Presentations
- BULLYING- Video (41 min., 12 sec.) - presented by Julie Hertzog,
Bullying Prevention Project Director, PACER,
and Sandra Hollis, Chair, TSA Education Committee.
- IMPULSE CONTROL AND AFFECT ISSUES and TREATMENT OF IMPULSIVE AGGRESSION IN TS: A COLLABORATIVE APPROACH - Video (72 min., 5 sec.) - joint presentation by Cathy L. Budman, M.D., and Michael B. Himle, Ph.D. (presenters' slides download available on linked page).
- ORGANIZATION AND EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - Video (10 min., 37 sec.) - Sarah Crowther,
Director of Student Success,
Culver-Stockton College, Canton, MO
The presentation of 2010 National Conference material was supported by Grant/Cooperative Agreement
from the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The
contents are solely the responsibility
of theauthors and do not necessarily represent the official views of CDC or TSA.
- TSA National Conference 2012 Presentations - Slide Shows and Handouts now available on this site - Medical/Behavioral, Education Resources, Adults, Teens, Bullying, more - view all.
2008 - Presentations
- BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES CONSORTIUM: A TSA SUCCESS STORY - Lawrence Scahill, MSN, PhD,
Douglas W. Woods, PhD - Video
- LATEST TREATMENTS & RELATED ISSUES FOR TOURETTE SYNDROME AND
CO-MORBID DISORDERS - Donald Gilbert, MD, MS - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- IMPULSE CONTROL AND ANGER ISSUES FOR CHILDREN, ADOLESCENTS AND ADULTS
WITH TS - Denis G. Sukhodolsky, PhD - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- AGGRESSIVE SYMPTOMS IN CHILDREN WITH TOURETTE SYNDROME - Cathy L. Budman, MD - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- AGGRESSIVE SYMPTOMS IN ADULTS WITH TOURETTE SYNDROME - Cathy L. Budman, MD - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- BEHAVIORAL TREATMENT FOR TICS - Douglas W. Woods, PhD - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- TOURETTE SYNDROME WORKSHOP (Parent Training) - Lawrence Scahill, MSN, PhD - Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- STOCKING THE TOOLBOX FOR SCHOOL SUCCESS AND
BEYOND - Margery J. Henning, COTA- Downloadable PDF® of slides shown during presentation
- EDUCATION & EDUCATION ADVOCACY - Downloadable PDFs of slides shown during presentation
- TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE PRESENTATIONS (Tourette Syndrome Educational Inservice) - Judy Peterson, Kathy Giordano
2006 - Newly Diagnosed Seminar video superseded by 2012 version; Spanish language dubbed version
still available (future transcreation of 2012 video is planned).
TSA's next National Conference will be in the spring of 2014.
As part of its mission to identify current research advances, disseminate them among the scientific and medical communities, and establish networks of basic and clinical scientists, the Tourette Syndrome Association, Inc. (TSA) sponsored the 5th International Scientific and Clinical Symposium on Tourette Syndrome, on June 12-13 2008 in New York City. As with the four previous symposia convened by the TSA, the meeting provided a forum for updating current research findings for both basic scientists and clinical researchers, as well as allied medical practitioners.
The symposium brought together 250 delegates and internationally renowned experts in their respective fields, from 17 countries. The target audience for the symposiums included: basic scientists, physicians of general medicine, pediatricians, family practice physicians, neurologists, psychiatrists, internists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, mental health therapists, school psychologists, school nurses, social workers and clinical investigators...
Click here to view video excerpts and to read the complete Overview and Session Summaries of TSA's 5th International Scientific Symposium on Tourette Syndrome (28 pages, Adobe Acrobat™ format).
PRESENTATIONS TO EDUCATORS
presentations to Educators and Allied Professionals in many communities across the U.S. to aid in their understanding and present strategies to benefit students with TS. Presentations are offered through an ongoing partnership with the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and are available FREE to qualifying School Districts, Regional Meetings and other professsional education organizations (click here for details).
Highlights of TSA Education Presentations
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY STRATEGIES FOR TOURETTE SYNDROME - video
TSA EDUCATION IN-SERVICE - for educators and families to optimize teaching and learning; tries to end stigma and promote acceptance regarding TS in school settings. Intended to be used by parents/families, as well as teachers, and allied professionals to provide in-services to an entire school staff, a child's educational team, school nurses, counselors, social workers, therapists, school board members, and other groups. Available FREE as a DVD and online.
TSA EDUCATION AUDIO CONFERENCES - online audio presentations (some with accompanying slide shows) for professional educators, and families. Presentations may be viewed/heard online; audio files are downloadable. Programs include:
PRESENTATIONS TO MEDICAL AND ALLIED PROFESSIONALS AND CLINICIANS
Participants receive authoritative information on Tourette Syndrome, common co-occurring conditions, differential diagnosis, and information about the latest treatments, medications, and case management. Presentations are offered through an ongoing partnership with the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and are available FREE to Hospitals, Medical Centers, and Medical and Allied Professional organizations and meetings (click here for details).
Highlights of TSA Medical and Allied Professional Presentations
DIAGNOSING AND TREATING TOURETTE SYNDROME (2005) - Video
EL SINDROME DE TOURETTE Y SU MANEJO CLINICO (2006) - Video
SORTING OUT COMPLEX SYMPTOMS (2009) - Video
TOURETTE SYNDROME: Update and Review (Nurses) (2006) - Video
HOT TOPICS - Two Panel Discussions: CONTROVERSIES and CHALLENGES in the Evaluation, Treatment, and Management of Tourette Syndrome and Co-occurring Conditions (2006) - Videos
TOURETTE SYNDROME OVERVIEW FOR SOCIAL WORKERS (2008) - Video
CBIT (Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics) (2009) - Video (and video role play); for access, USER NAME is tsa22behav; PASSWORD is 9768phd.
Through an ongoing partnership with the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Training Sessions on this evidence-based behavioral approach for managing TS are available FREE to Clinicians, Hospitals, Medical Centers, and Medical and Allied Professional organizations and meetings (Click for Medical/Allied Professional flyer; click for Education flyer; click for CBIT flyer).